Welcome to the best circle jerk this side of Dustbowl!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greg

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 pm

So, here goes my heroic quest. First, I download the torrent of the Ubuntu alt CD. I wait to slowly DL 600MB. Then I install it. Which involves DLing another 1500MB. Then it installs all of that. Which takes an hour and a half. I say "fuck it", and I go read some manga. (My manga collection consists of four books. I'm a true nerd. :P) Then I come back. I'm surprised, it all worked fine. It even remembered that I'm not a FailERTY user.

So, like a true geek, I go to reinstall my repositories, with the new ones. Looking back, I still have repositories installed from Hardy. "Damn, it's been a long time." First I thought, "Oh, that's not so bad, they just weren't automatically removed when I upgraded. I'll just put intrepid instead of hardy, and I'll be golden." Then I realized: Shit. This is Jaunty. I haven't used Hardy for over a year. FUCKERS. So, before I put new ones in, I remove all of the old ones, in case something's broken. The Ubuntu main server is fucked up from all the stress of people DLing 2.5GBs of stuff. So I pick the fastest mirror. Every file gave me a 404 error, something I've never experienced. Then I realize that the alt mirror hasn't updated for the new release. FUCKERS.

I go back to the main server. I wait forever to DL the new package list. I realize that my backspace key is fucked up. It won't let me erase anything, without holding it down for a minimum of 1.5 seconds. FUCKERS. I finally DL the package list. Error in cache or some other such bullshit. FUCKERS. Now, I pick another mirror at random, that's just as slow. Same error. FUCKERS. Three more servers. FUCKERS. Okay. I figure it'll just be a day or so. So what if I can't install software for a couple of days? It's not like I want to install anything important, LIKE THE GRAPHING CALCULATOR SOFTWARE I NEED FOR SCHOOL. FUCKERS. Okay. Now to fix my keyboard. Okay, it was hard to pick just the right delay, but I think I got it working properly. At least that went well. Now to Google the error message I got for the repository server. Damn this is slow. FUCKERS.
While waiting, I realize that my mouse sensitivity is a little weird. FUCKERS. Okay, that was weird. I reload the repos, and although it's horribly slow, it's working now at least. Now to go install the Wine and Playdeb repos. Then it turns out that Playdeb hasn't updated since Hardy. FUCKERS. And that I never really used it. Okay. Wine. They've update, as they always have. Time to install their repos. I install the repo. As is custom, I have to reload all of my repos, just to update one. FUCKERS. Now, I realize that maybe my update broke some of my Wine programs. (I.E. TF2.) FUCKERS. Now let's see, anything else I've forgotten? Oh yeah, it didn't save my wireless driver, so I had to reinstall it. FUCKERS. Next time Ubuntu updates, I'm going Debian.

So, what's the message I'm trying to convey? GO EAT SHIT, FUCKERS!

Last edited by Greg on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eak

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Yeah, Windows is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Catduck

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 pm

or you could just put in a windows disk and be done
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Eak wrote:
Yeah, Windows is pretty cool.

Catduck wrote:
or you could just put in a windows disk and be done

Well, with Windows I wouldn't have been able to install it in the first place. Plus, which is easier: Finding a website, downloading the program, and spending 15 minutes installing, or just open a package manager, search for what you want, and install with 3 clicks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eak

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Greg wrote:

Well, with Windows I wouldn't have been able to install it in the first place. Plus, which is easier: Finding a website, downloading the program, and spending 15 minutes installing, or just open a package manager, search for what you want, and install with 3 clicks?

Yeah, disks are pretty hard to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angrywhiteguy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm

DORVAK is for pretentious fags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angrywhiteguy

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Oh, they have graphing calculator software? Do want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damuna

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 pm

angrywhiteguy wrote:
DORVAK is for pretentious fags.

Dvorak is apparently also for people who can spell.

Y'know, pretentious fags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eak

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:59 pm

You bamboozled Angry White Guy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damuna

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Eak wrote:
You bamboozled Angry White Guy

I did? Damn, I wasn't finished, either.

Did you know that the world record for typing is 212 WPM on a Dvorak keyboard?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angrywhiteguy

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 am

Hmm... well at least I got all the roght letters.

I'm just saying that thinking DVORAK is better than QWERTY is like thinking Esperanto is better than English.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damuna

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 am

angrywhiteguy wrote:

I'm just saying that thinking DVORAK is better than QWERTY is like thinking Esperanto is better than English.

It's not written in block caps, either. The name is taken from the surname of its inventor, not its keys.

(In this thread I harangue AWG until he writes Dvorak properly.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm not saying that Dvorak is better than QWERTY. I'm just saying that I'm better than anyone who uses QWERTY.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angrywhiteguy

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Damuna wrote:
angrywhiteguy wrote:

It's not written in block caps, either. The name is taken from the surname of its inventor, not its keys.

Well I'll be damned. It certainly doesn't help that Dvorak and QWERTY have the same number of letters.

Greg wrote:
I'm not saying that Dvorak is better than QWERTY. I'm just saying that I'm better than anyone who uses QWERTY.

Eak wrote:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm

angrywhiteguy wrote:
Damuna wrote:
angrywhiteguy wrote:

Well I'll be damned. It certainly doesn't help that Dvorak and QWERTY have the same number of letters.

Greg wrote:

Eak wrote:

Yeah, yeah. I saw that already. If you replace "Greg" with "Eak (who is also a faggot)", the statement is equally true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eak

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:35 pm

I love you Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 pm

So, now Wine is fucking me over. https://bugs.launchpad.net/pulseaudio/+bug/367379 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1084262 describe my problem. I'm going to reinstall wine, and hope it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mrs_19

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Eak wrote:
I love you Greg
go wash your mouth out RIGHT NOW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu   

Back to top Go down

Greg's Valiant Quest to Upgrade Ubuntu
Page 1 of 1